Kissing bugs are considered to be the natives of Mexico, Central America, South America, and other parts of the USA. The reason for their name being ‘kissing bugs’ is quite unpleasant, and that is- they tend to bite people on the face and near the mouth. They can even bite on other parts of the body as well. These insects usually bite people when they’re sleeping, and you might not even feel like you have been bitten, but it is definitely not safe for you. And so knowing how to get rid of kissing bugs is very important for everyone.
Thus, as you scroll down, you will find out complete details about kissing bugs such as what exactly these insects are, different ways of getting rid of these kissing bugs, how to prevent them, and much more. So just keep reading below to check out all the info.
What are Kissing Bugs?
Before we read further and find out how to get rid of kissing bugs, it is important to know what exactly are kissing bugs, so that you can identify them easily. Kissing bugs or cone-nosed bugs or triatomine bugs are blood-sucking creatures that feed on the blood of humans and animals. They usually bite near the mouth, and so is their name.
These insects are generally dark brown, black colored with red or orange stripes, and they can grow up to 11/4 inches long. These insects are mostly active from May through July because this is their nesting and mating season.
But now how can you get rid of kissing bugs? Let’s look at some of the different ways to get rid of these insects.
How to get rid of kissing bugs naturally?
Eliminating the kissing bugs could be a challenge as they make themselves scarce and well-hidden during the daytime. While they are hidden, they usually build nests and lay eggs in the cracks and crevices of your home. But there are several ways that you can use to keep the kissing bugs away, naturally. So they are as follows-
- Clean your yard- As kissing bugs like outdoor areas are cluttered, it is recommended to keep your yard completely clean and clear of piles. In addition to this, regularly keep your vegetation trimmed.
- Clean your beds- Kissing bugs really like to hang out on mattresses, which also include pet mattresses. So just make sure that you clean them regularly by washing them in hot water and using dry heat.
- Use a vacuum- Do not try to vacuum these bugs, but should vacuum the areas that you suspect they must be living in (in case levels are present).
- Keep the lights off- These pests are highly attracted to lights, like many other nighttime flying critters. So if you want to keep them away from your home, turn off all the lights that are nearby.
How to get rid of kissing bugs by using insecticides?
The best way to get rid of kissing bugs through insecticides is by using pyrethroid insecticides. While there is no specific or particular spray that has been made to kill kissing bugs, pyrethroid insecticides can definitely work.
Now, the names of some of the pyrethroid insecticides which you will easily find in the market are as follows-
- Lambda Cyhalothrin
A Pro Tip- The names of pyrethroid insecticides usually end with -three or -ate.
And when using pyrethroid insecticides for the treatment of kissing bugs, here are some of the places where you can spray-
- Base holds
- Door Frames
- Places kissing bugs congregate
- Areas designated for pets
How to Prevent Kissing Bugs?
One of the best ways how to get rid of kissing bugs is to never allow them to enter your home in the first place. Make sure you seal up the cracks so that no pests or insects won’t get into your home. So in order to safeguard your living space from these kissing bugs, you need to focus on the execution methods that are listed below-
- Use weather stripping, caulk, or any other sealant- around the windows, roofs, walls, and doors
- Bring the pets inside- at night
- Turn off the outdoor lighting- do this close to all entryways
- Keep indoor and outdoor areas clean
- Remove piles of rocks, leaves, or wood- do this near your home
- Install and maintain scenes- do this on doors and windows
Hiding Places of Kissing Bugs
As kissing bugs can easily adapt to living indoors, in the USA, there is not much risk of finding these bugs in your home as most of the houses there are built using plaster and other materials such as caulk, which effectively and properly seal the cracks which are the entryways for the insects, and so a person need not search how to get rid of kissing bugs. However, homes that are old have a higher risk and are more susceptible to infections due to the holes and fractures that might have developed over time there. So there are some places where these insects usually hide, and about which you will find out below.
Where to find kissing bugs inside your home?
- Inside holes in walls
- In cracks in furniture
- Underneath mattresses
Where to find kissing bugs outside the home?
- Piles of leaves or Bags
- Dog houses
- Under porches and sidewalks
- Wood Piles
- Within Bird Nests and Animal Dens
- Crawl Spaces
- Window screens
Just remember to keep the piles of rocks, wood or leaves away from your house, or just eliminate them entirely to totally reduce their habitat and decrease the likelihood of these kissing bugs who want to make your home their property.
And now, as you know about the hiding places of these insects, how to get rid of kissing bugs and how to prevent them, we sure you can now get rid of these annoying pests by following all the things mentioned above in this article!